Saturday 16 June 2012

The Mongolie Grill: Try the Dessert!

I think we're experiencing an inverse summer, boy did it rain a lot today! Non stop pelting down on us. 
Not sure if it was due to the rain but when we had lunch at Mongolie Grill today there were only two other tables. 


We were seated promptly and our friendly server took our order of soup choice (corn chowder or sweet & sour soup) and rice choice (brown or white rice). Then we went to the ingredients buffet set up to pick the food that we like. There was a varied assortment of vegetables, seafood (shrimp, squids, salmon), meat (chicken, beef, pork), and sauces. 


I liked choosing my own ingredients so I can cater it to my own tastes. I chose bean sprouts, cabbage, shrimp, chicken, and peanut sauce.
The bowls of raw food were weighed and we were each able to guess how much it would cost. I guessed $12.20 but was way over because it came out to be $7.25.


The chef grilled the food on the stove pictured below and our four orders was ready in less than 15 minutes.


The meal comes with complimentary soup and rice. We were given spring roll paper to wrap our brown rice in. I've never tried this before. The spring roll paper with rice was quite chewy with the hot rice. We ended up wrapping ingredients from our grilled food into the spring roll paper because wrapping the rice itself was quite bland.


This is what my food looked like after grilling. It was pretty hot but cooled down quickly.


These are the combinations that my family came up with. What's fun about eating here is that each person's dish is different!



We finished off the lunch with dessert! Honestly I was not expecting dessert at Mongolie Grill to be that good but it was! Each dessert on the menu is $5.95. We ordered the Coffee Cheesecake and Cookies & Cream cake. Both were creamy, sweet, and delicious.

Coffee Cheesecake

Cookies & Cream cake
Overall, I liked the dessert best even though that's not really what the restaurant is supposed to be known for.
Fortune Cookie with receipt

Mongolie Grill (Richmond) on Urbanspoon

 



0 comments: